[Info-vax] free shell accounts?

Kerry Main kerry.main at backtothefutureit.com
Sat Jan 24 13:42:31 EST 2015

different clustering technologies used by various OS platforms:

1. Shared nothing (one writer, many readers, writes coordinated by
the designated writer)

2. Shared everything (many writers, many readers with distributed
lock management coordinating writes between OS hosts)

UNIX, Linux, Windows, NonStop use option 1 - shared nothing

OpenVMS, Oracle RAC use Option 2 - shared everything. (Oracle RAC
evolved from Tru64 UNIX clustering which is a subset of OpenVMS
clustering)

A good whitepaper on the different strategies can be found here:
http://www.scaledb.com/pdfs/WP_SDvSN.pdf

Regards,

Kerry Main
Back to the Future IT Inc.
 .. Learning from the past to plan the future

Kerry dot main at backtothefutureit dot com