[Info-vax] DCL's flaws (both scripting and UI)

Phillip Helbig undress to reply helbig at asclothestro.multivax.de
Sun Jan 25 06:06:33 EST 2015

In article <ma2fue$gsc$1 at news.albasani.net>, Jan-Erik Soderholm
<jan-erik.soderholm at telia.com> writes:

> >> No, not realy. It is a major mess!
> >
> > Maybe impractical (somewhat---I use COMPOSE) for writing Swedish, but
> > what's wrong with it for VMS?
>
> That it is missing ÅÄÖ and that it is not a proper
> "Swedish" layout. Of course...

Right, but with VMS one rarely needs ÅÄÖ etc.  If one does, then the
compose key can help.  In EDT, it is easy to enter such characters, even
ones not possible with the COMPOSE key.  And one can get a table really
quickly: HELP FORTRAN CHARACTER DEC.

> Most usualy log in remotely using a standard PC. There are
> a very small few still using a DECterm on a VMS desktop.

I don't know what the current statistics are.  There is also a further
possibility: using a PC keyboard on a PC with some terminal emulation,
but having the remote VMS system display DECterms (or, perhaps, the CDE
interface) on the PC.