[Info-vax] OT: "HDMI 2.0 cables"

MG marcogbNO at SPAMxs4all.nl
Sun Jan 25 21:13:49 EST 2015

Dirk Munk schreef op 26-jan-2015 om 02:06:
> You really didn't look at the technical details, now did you?

Are you up for the bet?  I can make some serious money off a
stubborn one like you.

> Here's a link to a page on hdmi.org describing the 5 different cable
> types and qualities that are defined today:
>
> http://www.hdmi.org/consumer/finding_right_cable.aspx

Find "HDMI 2.0" cable.  Can you find it for me?  Because I don't see
any mentioned there, do you?

> The high speed cables are defined in the HDMI 1.4b standard, and are
> tested for a clock rate of 340MHz. These cables are sufficient for any
> consumer equipment that is on sale today.

Show me a "HDMI 2.0" cable.  (At this point I'm starting to think you
may own some stock of some electronics retailer...)

> The quality of the cables becomes important when they get longer. If
> you look for it you will find test with long HDMI cables, and then
> it becomes clear that indeed there are differences in cable quality.

/Ah ah/, don't try to change the subject now.  We were talking about
cable types, not about cable lengths.  For the final and last time,
show me an "HDMI 2.0" cable or admit that you're horribly wrong and
made a terrible of yourself.

> The HDMI 2.0 standard however also defines the 8k TV standards etc.
> and for that the clock rate can be as high as 600MHz, well in access
> of the 340MHz specification of today's high speed cables as defined
> in HDMI 1.4b.

Now, where are these mythical "HDMI 2.0" cables I wonder...

> Now don't you think that at some point there must be a new cable
> standard for the 600MHz clock rate?

"At some point", I'm talking about the here and now.  Do you live
in the here and now or "at some point"?

> Same thing happened with multi-mode fibres. There is an OM3 standard,
> but some companies also had an unofficial OM3-plus standard with much
> better specifications. Later on that became the OM4 standard.

No, you're wrong and don't change the subject.  We're talking (copper)
HDMI cables, not fiber-optical cables.

> I'm not saying that the cables that are advertised as HDMI 2.0 cables
> today are tested for 600MHz. But if they are produced by a reputable
> company, they just might be.

You still haven't shown me any "HDMI 2.0 cables"...  Want to bet?
Maybe that will cure you of your selfrighteous stubbornness.

  - MG