[Info-vax] OT: "HDMI 2.0 cables"

glen herrmannsfeldt gah at ugcs.caltech.edu
Mon Jan 26 16:49:32 EST 2015

(snip)

>>> http://www.hdmi.org/consumer/finding_right_cable.aspx

>> Find "HDMI 2.0" cable.  Can you find it for me?  Because I don't see
>> any mentioned there, do you?

> No, that's exactly the point. HDMI 1.4b specifies a maximum clockate of
> 340MHz, and cables up to match that clockrate. However HDMI 2.0
> specifies a clockrate of maximal 600MHz, without specifying matching
> cables. Difficult to understand isn't it?

(snip)

> No, not really. A short cable of a certain type may be capable of
> handling a certain clockrate, a longer cable of the same type may not.
> So quality, clockrate, and cable length influence each other.

And the standards often don't express that very well.

Most likely you can get gigabit ethernet to run through a foot (0.3m)
of four pair Cat-3 cable, but the standard won't tell you that.

In the case of HDMI, you might be fine with a short cable, but
attach a few together with couplers, and it likely won't work.
I don't know what the standard says about couplers, but they do
exist and people do use them.

I have a 20 foot HDMI-DVI cable (one connector at each end) that
is much thicker than any HDMI cable that I have.

-- glen