[Info-vax] improve performance of /EXCLUDE

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Tue Jan 27 06:24:02 EST 2015

On 2015-01-27 04:56:53 +0000, David Froble said:

> Stephen Hoffman wrote:
>> On 2015-01-26 23:27:51 +0000, David Froble said:
>>
>>> I'm thinking that the usage of a feature might have some bearing on
>>> additional work on that feature.
>>>
>>> How many times in a second do you perform such operations?
>>> For a one time interactive operation, maybe not so much ....
>>
>> Incorporate a modern search engine into VMS.   That would be beneficial
>> to more folks, more often.
>
> The discussion is not about something missing, it's about an existing
> capability that might not be as efficient as possible.

You seem to think I wasn't commenting about the /EXCLUDE.   With a
faster integrated search, there wouldn't be this discussion, or there'd
be a discussion of the search grammar necessary for a custom search —
this assuming that /EXCLUDE didn't go directly to the fast search
itself.

> Are you enjoying your "Christmas catalog" ?
>
> :-)

Um, I'm more interested in seeing VMS not continue to implode.  Fast
searches are now expected.  Well, expected for those folks that've
experienced them.