[Info-vax] improve performance of /EXCLUDE

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Wed Jan 28 11:02:54 EST 2015

On 2015-01-28 04:28:34 +0000, mcleanjoh at gmail.com said:

> On Wednesday, January 28, 2015 at 10:57:32 AM UTC+11, Stephen Hoffman wrote:
>> It seems you might have little experience with a system that offers a
>> faster search?
>
> Are you talking of a pre-processing search that's parsed all file and
> saved the index in some file, much like web search engines?

Your apparent confusion and my clear inability to clearly communicate
what the plug-ins provide would tend to imply that you haven't used
something akin to the Spotlight tool[1] before; not in any depth.
There's nothing wrong with that at all, of course.  More a case of
figuring out what sort of phrasing and detail I should use here, in
order to try to communicate the benefits.  If you have used Spotlight
and its grammar[2] on the other hand, then you'd probably be familiar
with its benefits.  This is part of why I keep suggesting that folks
here go try other operating systems and tools, too.  Find out what's
out there, and how it can solve your problems — solving your problems
either differently, or quite possibly even solving them better.  But I
digress...

> I can see that being useful for some things (e.g. searching on a set of
> specific files) but not so much for wider use where the cost-benefit
> doesn't weigh up.

A number of years ago, having found and started using the mdfind[3]
command — Spotlight's command-line interface — the benefits of a faster
search stack up very quickly, simply due to how much faster the search
results can be acquired.  The Spotlight search grammar is a little
baroque when first encountered, but it does work.  Yes, Google's search
grammar is no less baroque.[4]  But I digress.  Again.

Tools such as Spotlight are particularly effective when there's a
mechanism to notify the search indexer to re-index recent file system
changes.  A tool such as locate does pretty well, but it's usually
based on polling and thus doesn't catch quick changes as efficiently.
Various web search engines offer pingers, too; a way to allow a web
site to notify the crawlers of changes.  Ugh.  Digression.   Again.
Bad Hoff.  No more digressions.

> I just did a search across a whole bunch of .FOR, .C and even .OLB
> files to see if a specific string of characters existed in any of them.
>  Would mdfind be able to handle the .OLB object library?

Yes, it would be.   There are standard plug-ins.   If you happen to
have your own custom format file, then you can write your own custom
plug-in.  For an environment such as VMS, I'd expect the standard
plug-ins would be able to extract and cache the contents of common file
formats including text, help and object libraries, and from zip
archives and BACKUP savesets, probably also symbol table files and
shareable image entrypoints, and from some other common resources.  The
ht:/Dig had search tool had plug-ins, and was extensible through custom
plug-ins, as well — this extensibility and this sort of a modular
design isn't at all unusual for these search tools, after all.

With VMS, it'd be interesting to see plug-ins available some of the
kernel data structures indexed, such as the running processes, logical
name tables, and the lock resources, too.

But I'd expect there'd be some interesting user extensions and
plug-ins, too.[5]

########
[1]
https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Carbon/Conceptual/MetadataIntro/Concepts/WhatIsSpotlight.html>