[Info-vax] Quorum disk and last transition time

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Wed Jan 28 11:46:31 EST 2015

On 2015-01-28 15:49:31 +0000, Joe said:

> We have a quorum disk configured on 2 node cluster. If one of the
> quorum disk watchers loses this disk momentarily, will a cluster state
> transition be triggered?

If both voting hosts are present and accounted for, and both have one
vote each, and the quorum disk has one vote and there are three votes
total, no.   The quorum disk votes "matter" when there's not enough
non-quorum-disk votes present to meet quorum.  When the quorum disk
vote matters, there'll be pause of 3 x the polling interval, to ensure
there are no unrecognized hosts sharing access to the quorum disk.

> we receive these messages in OPCOM when the disk goes out.

If that's SCSI, then that's probably a flaky and failing quorum disk,
or a flaky and failing device somewhere else on the (presumably shared)
bus, maybe bus termination or a controller problem, or a bad or loose
cable.  If that's a Fibre Channel or DSSI bus involved, then adjust the
details accordingly.  In any case, investigate the devices and the
error logs for details, and expect to have to swap something.

> Could the above event trigger a state transition and where can I find
> the last transition time due to the above event?

See above.  As for the logging, the system consoles are typically the
only "working" output devices during a quorum transition, and what
happens with the consoles is limited to output messages.   OPCOM and
other processes are intentionally wedged.  Any user-mode software and
any of the lower-priority kernel-mode VMS code is not going to be
stalled, pending the detection of quorum and the resumption of
processing.  That stall includes the ability to write to disk; there
won't be logging or other activity happening until after the stall is
cleared.

> If we give $ show cluster/cont and add cluster, the field
> LAST_TRANSITION always show the last transition time of one of the
> nodes which ever is later, will this field be updated if a cluster
> transition is triggered due to quorum disk validation/invalidation.

I'd not be interested in the cluster state transitions, and would be
far more centrally interested in what's up with that quorum disk and
whatever bus is involved.