[Info-vax] IBM Layoffs (quite a bit off topic)

johnson.eric at gmail.com johnson.eric at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 06:00:57 EST 2015

On Wednesday, January 28, 2015 at 10:39:41 PM UTC-5, David Froble wrote:

> As for OO programming, my perception is that in the past some people
> found themselves doing things in multiple places, and learned to write
> reusable code, written once, to perform such tasks.  Then some people
> decided it needed a name, and started preaching.  But all it was was
> just some intelligent programming.  Of course, we all know I don't get
> out much.

After Hoff's thoughtful summary of OO programming a few days ago,
I had hoped that a greater understanding would have been imparted.

I can understand why you summarize it that way, but you are missing
its key features which for me would include inheritance, polymorphism,
and encapsulation.

When you work with a UI framework such as Qt, you really need the
organizing power of OO. I'll let you stroll through their docs to get
a sense of the size.

http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/classes.html

As for learning about the other items in that list, I'm just going to let
you google for it if the interest on your side is really there. Likely
resources would include wikipedia, Khan Academy, stackoverflow,
or any intro CS course that's available online. There are many to
choose from.

EJ