[Info-vax] Installing OpenVMS 8.4 on Integrity rx2800 with no local disks

Jan-Erik Soderholm jan-erik.soderholm at telia.com
Thu Jan 29 17:49:26 EST 2015

Tom Wade skrev den 2015-01-29 21:36:
> Hi,
>
> I have to install OpenVMS 8.4 on an Integrity rx2800 i2.  It has no local
> disks, only SAN storage.  From what I can see, this system cannot boot from
> the DVD due to lack of support for the SATA DVD drive in the base O/S.
>
> The article describing this,
>
> http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c02962662&sp4ts.oid=5033573
>

> states that "This issue has been elevated to OpenVMS Engineering requesting
> OpenVMS 8.4 patch V0500 be released on CD, but as of yet it has not
> happened."  Does anyone know if this is still the case ?  Is there a HW
> version DVD release?
>
> I have access to an rx2600 (currently running 8.3).  I was considering
> using this machine to install 8.4 with patch UPDATE5 on a USB stick, and
> trying to boot that on the target machine.  Is this feasible ?
>
> Thanks for any pointers
>
> Tom Wade

Does the rx2600 have access to the same SAN as the target rx2800?

That might not be the case, and you might already have concidered
it, but if so, the rx2600 coudl be used to create a boot disk
for the rx2800. USe the rx2600 to do an image copy of the dist
DVD to a SAN disk and boot the rx2800 from that one.

You might have to ask your SAN admin to make sure that SAN
volume is seen from both systems.

If the rx2600 does not have access to the SAN, this
doesn't work of course... :-)

Jan-Erik.