[Info-vax] BACKUP to nfs-share, some files are modified

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Fri Jan 30 10:48:28 EST 2015

On 2015-01-30 08:24:16 +0000, wolfgangburgerunread at gmail.com said:

> Thank you all for your answers and sorry for the confusion.
>
> Some more details and answers.
>
> - The VMS cluster will be shut down permanently and dismantled to free
> up rack space.
> I might not be able to boot it up again. That´s why I want the files
> copied to some other system.

OpenVMS via emulation would be a typical path here, and I'd
specifically target that as one potential path for future recovery of
the data.  That's where the disk images come into play.  There are
formal ways to transfer VMS software licenses over to emulation, as
well; HP has a license transfer fee, which gives you rights to anything
you had on the hardware, but under emulation.
<http://h71000.www7.hp.com/ovmslicensing/openvms_licensing_information.html>
<http://licensing.hp.com/slt/americas/index.html>

Convert to Stream LF.  See <http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/node/1737>

> - I don´t want to hide them in some BACKUP container (bck-file), as
> these are hard to decipher on another OS

While zip would be more portable, vmsbackup
<http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/node/817> is available.  The problem is
less the container than the files within the container, though.  RMS
sequential VFC format is common on VMS, but not readily accessible on
other platforms.

> - BUT I would like to keep the directory trees, so I can´t really use FTP.

Except in desperation, FTP is best avoided.  OK, some unspecified and
quite possibly old OpenVMS format is in use here, and that might not
have SFTP.

>  That´s why I tried to use BACKUP.
> But without creating a container file. The command (example):
> BACKUP disks:[data...] diskx:[transfer...]
> where diskx is the mounted nfs-share.

BACKUP doesn't do format conversions.  NFS, however, can.  And the
ADF-based file format conversions might not be what you want.

Now you have VMS formats including VFC files on non-VMS systems.

<http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/node/575>   Or get some help.

> - Stephen, can it really be an EOF problem with modified bytes all over
> the file? (see below)

If you have modified bytes all over the file, then there's something
else going on; network or NFS or file-level errors, or some sort of
file format conversion; 0x0A is linefeed, and file format conversions —
as I've mentioned — are definitely in play here.  But BACKUP to NFS is
a Unix-ish solution, and it'd work if VMS had the bag-of-bytes file
format semantics typical of Unix.  But VMS doesn't.

Get the XLS files off with however they were gotten on.   Or zip one of
them individually, and see if they'll read after the transfer and he
restoration.   The Microsoft files are a separate problem from the
sequential file format issues, and those Microsoft files are usually
present secondary to Advanced Server or Samba/CIFS transfers.

But FWIW, BACKUP via NFS is about the last way I'd even approach this
archival processing, though.  In general
<http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/node/1737>

> The options:
> COPY - no way to keep directory tree, or is there?

You're not doing a COPY.  You are going to need to convert the file
formats.  Many of the OpenVMS RMS sequential file formats are not
binary-transportable.

> FTP - no way to keep directory tree, or is there?

FTP is an ancient protocol and older than the IP internet, wildly
insecure, and generally incompatible with modern networks.

> BACKUP to individual files - corrupting my files for yet unknown reasons

The files may well have been corrupted to start with, as Microsoft
files have been a longstanding problem.  But I'd wager that NFS is
trying to get helpful, and BACKUP doesn't know you're looking to do
here — like COPY, BACKUP doesn't do format conversions.  NFS can get
involved here and does try to do format conversions; there's
documentation available on that, but it's usually easier to convert the
most important (sequential) files to portable formats on VMS, then zip
them with "-V", then use SFTP or (if you're really stuck) FTP to
transfer binary-mode them.

> BACKUP to container file - basically unreadable on other OS

As with COPY, you're looking for a file format conversion.  I'd suspect
that NFS might be getting helpful here, too; the VMS NFS client has ADF
support
<http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/83final/6526/6526pro_052.html#nfs_client_chap>
but it's usually safer to convert the files to stream LF locally, then
transfer them.

<http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/node/575> <http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/node/1737>

> Stephen, unfortunately Christoph Gartmann is no longer available.
> I´m REALLY curious, how did you know where I´m working?
> My name is ungoogleable as I share it with an OpenVMS-Blogger and a
> semi-famous german author.
> I´ve used a throw-away email-address.
> What am I missing here?I´ve created the post over google-groups, do
> real news-readers show the source ip?

OPSEC is hard.    Might want to have your network folks update your DNS
whois records, FWIW.