[Info-vax] Users of OpenVMS

Kerry Main kerry.main at backtothefutureit.com
Sat Jan 31 10:25:23 EST 2015

Yep .. also remember that while the culture of OpenVMS systems is to
run numerous apps on one system and/or cluster - a strategy called App
stacking.

When Windows /Linux promoters want to promote their case, they will
compare the costs of that OpenVMS system to a single Windows / Linux
system. Makes for great executive positioning.

Course, when actual deployment phase comes, they will deploy
numerous additional OS instances (P or V) to replace that one VMS
system because the culture of these commodity OS's is to limit 1 or
maybe 2 bus apps per OS instance - each of which need to be licensed
individually.. including agents, LP's etc. (P or V makes no difference).

Hence, the VM sprawl issues facing many Cust's today that have left
Cust's wondering why their overall IT costs have actually increased in
the last few years.

Yeah, it's not apples to oranges, but that's reality.

Having stated this, I am certainly not a fan of past pricing models for
OpenVMS .. future pricing models will need to be competitive with
other OS's on the same server HW or the same games will continue.

Regards,

Kerry Main
Back to the Future IT Inc.
 .. Learning from the past to plan the future

Kerry dot main at backtothefutureit dot com