[Info-vax] Removing the leading $ from commands in a new DCL language

John Reagan xyzzy1959 at gmail.com
Fri May 1 11:01:12 EDT 2015

On Friday, May 1, 2015 at 10:12:08 AM UTC-4, Stephen Hoffman wrote:

> DCL has areas where errant syntax is accepted.   That certain lexical
> functions are processed inside comments was another, and that "bug"
> then became a "feature".

I've had lines without leading dollar signs for years and then when I make a change a dozen lines away, DCL starts to complain.  Go figure.

> What some hypothetical replacement command language might choose to do
> here?  If that new language happens, hopefully there's a formal syntax
> specification and some related testing.

A command language with a formal, well-designed, consistent syntax?  That would be a first.  Seriously, doing a new command language is quite an undertaking and just would make OpenVMS yet again different than the systems it is trying to complete with.  Just like we all have our complaints about C, C++, and JAVA, they are the lingua franca in the industry today.