[Info-vax] OpenVMS in the future, Open sourced or Closed? Intent is to keep it...

Craig A. Berry craigberry at nospam.mac.com
Sat May 2 11:37:21 EDT 2015

On 5/2/15 7:01 AM, IanD wrote:

> It would be 'interesting' to know however from the horses mouth if
> open source is indeed a goal for VSI or not

Clair Grant has said he's already attempted and failed to make VMS open
source several times.  I don't know but would venture a guess that the
last time was during the negotiations for the current deal with HP.  It
seems really unlikely open sourcing would happen unless and until that
deal is replaced with a completely different one, and it seems highly
unlikely that's even a possibility until some years down the road.

> Open source is one way to get rapid development happening

So the hype goes. That can happen, but as often as not even critical
open source projects like NTP are maintained by one or two beleaguered
volunteers who are strapped for resources:

<http://www.informationweek.com/it-life/ntps-fate-hinges-on-father-time/d/d-id/1319432?print=yes>

Open source can work, but it works best when companies who depend on it
are investing a lot in making it happen.