[Info-vax] image backup on itanium

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Sat May 2 12:25:42 EDT 2015

On 2015-05-02 13:35:21 +0000, Hans Vlems said:

> Though I always used backup/image to restore the ISO file to a harddisk.
> But I64 is a little more complicated because there are two filesystems
> on the save device. At least that is what I understand right now.

It's an overlaid design, intended to allow OpenVMS to continue to not
support partitioned disks.

See  <http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/node/28> for some structure and
technical details.

> The system came with V8.3 installed and I used that to do a clean
> install of 8.4.
> Today I tried to clone that system disk with backup/image. The clone
> failed to boot.

Stale or invalid boot aliases are a very common cause of this.  Either
secondary to duplicate GUIDs across disks, or due to stale entries in
the EFI boot alias list.  Remove and re-add.