[Info-vax] image backup on itanium

Hans Vlems hvlems at freenet.de
Sat May 2 14:37:18 EDT 2015

Op zaterdag 2 mei 2015 19:44:46 UTC+2 schreef JF Mezei:
> On 15-05-02 13:19, Hans Vlems wrote:
> > I didn't realize that the itanium stores unique disk id's.
>
> is this HP Intanium systems only, or common to all EFI based machines ?
>
> Apple's EFI seems to have a lot of stuff added to it (such as ability to
> load a file from an HFS+ volume) so I am curious as to what sort of
> peculariaties are unique to HP machines, unique to IA64 machines or
> common to all EFI based machines with some kludges to hide that stuff
> from the user (as Apple does).

Good questio JF but I have little or no Apple knowledge.
Volker anf Hoff suggested @boot_options (probably because it is a lot
easier to use than EFI) and solved it. The cloned system disk was bootable,
no problem. I haven't looked at boot_options.com yet to see how it interfaces with EFI.
What I think EFI does is offer a flexible interface between the hardware
(BIOS) and a path to a bootstrap file that gets the desired os up and
running.
How that affects other OS-es is beyond me.
Hans