[Info-vax] image backup on itanium

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Sat May 2 20:56:50 EDT 2015

On 2015-05-02 23:46:29 +0000, Michael Moroney said:

> VMS comes out of the build process as a BACKUP/IMAGE saveset file.
> $ BACKUP/IMAGE file.bck/SAVE DISK: and boot from that disk and install
> VMS to its final destination from there, or use it to burn a CD (a few
> steps) or infoserver disk.

The OpenVMS VAX produced savesets, though even that was modified to
produce bootable disk images with V6.0 and later; boot SYS1 from the
distribution disk to get OpenVMS VAX.

AFAIK/IIRC, the output from OpenVMS Alpha and OpenVMS I64 builds has
always been disk images.

The disk images used on OpenVMS I64 are further specialized with an El
Torito overlay, and that is not something that BACKUP can recreate,
with or without /IMAGE.