[Info-vax] image backup on itanium

Michael Moroney moroney at world.std.spaamtrap.com
Sat May 2 23:47:25 EDT 2015

JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot at vaxination.ca> writes:

>In the proposed COPY, would it be correct to assume that
>1- backup/image DKA100: LDA1: (pointing to disk.iso
>2- mount/foreign  DKA200:
>4- copy disk.iso DKA200:

>?

Oh, I see what you are doing.  This will do a block by block copy, more
like BACKUP/PHYSICAL than anything else.

>If LDA1: has been created to have say 600 megs, and DKA200: has 1 gig.
>Will the extra 400 megs be available after the COPY operation ?

With a mismatched disk like that, there will be two problems.  First,
as you mention, BITMAP.SYS may not cover the whole drive.  You'll get
a warning upon mounting it.  $ SET VOLUME/LIMIT should fix it.
Second, GPT.SYS has two parts, to cover the fake partition stuff.  The
first part is at the very beginning.  The second part will be at the
very end.  With your COPY trick, the end cluster will be misplaced.
I don't think this affects booting.  I don't know what is in that
second cluster.

>  When
>mounted normally, will VMS update disk structures to reflect the fact
>that the disk has 400 extra megs available ? (thinking about bitmap.sys
>and other ODS files)

No, other than any leftover space in BITMAP.SYS (partially used last
cluster) MAY be allocated/used. It won't be extended to cover the disk.