[Info-vax] Removing the leading $ from commands in a new DCL language

Paul Sture nospam at sture.ch
Sun May 3 09:59:15 EDT 2015

On 2015-05-03, Simon Clubley <clubley at remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP>
wrote:
> On 2015-05-02, glen herrmannsfeldt <gah at ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:
>> Simon Clubley <clubley at remove_me.eisner.decus.org-earth.ufp> wrote:
>>> My thoughts were to come up with a way to drop the leading $ from
>>> commands while retaining the ability to have inline data being fed
>>> to a program.
>>
>>> I did think the same as you, but I was also wanting to devise some
>>> mechanism which didn't require the script writer to specify some end
>>> of data sequence which the script writer needs to know isn't going
>>> to be seen within the data.
>>
>> You can already do that.  You only need the $ on the line after
>> the last input line.  As far as I know, you can put that $ on
>> a line by itself.
>>

> And what if there's a $ as the first character of the data ? :-)
>
> (That's the point I was making above.)

You use $DECK and $EOD for that.  There was one occasion many moons ago
where I needed it; it might have been in the context of talking to an
IBM via RJE.

HELP EOD Examples:

    $ CREATE WEATHER.COM
    $ DECK
    $ FORTRAN WEATHER
    $ LINK WEATHER
    $ RUN WEATHER
    $ EOD
    $ @WEATHER

         In this example, the command procedure creates a command
         procedure called WEATHER.COM. The lines delimited by the DECK
         and EOD commands are written to the file WEATHER.COM. Then the
         command procedure executes WEATHER.COM.

--
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as
equals.                                            -- Winston Churchill