[Info-vax] New HP OpenVMS Web Site, Web Site Reorganization, Broken Links

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Mon May 4 11:14:26 EDT 2015

For those that have not already noticed it, HP appears to be in the
process of deploying a new OpenVMS web site on a new host web server.

The responses to the http://www.hp.com/go/openvms shortcut are now
returning web pages from the http://www8.hp.com server.

That's from my location.   HP may well have other web servers involved
with serving these pages, based on load, geography, phase of the moon,
or any number of other factors.

Link continuity was apparently not implemented, or not completely
implemented.   This means that existing http://h71000.www7.hp.com
references go... nowhere.  You're going to be seeing a whole lot of
dangling links, until the search engines catch up with the new web site
location and organization.

New main page is
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/products/servers/openvms/overview.html

No idea what else has changed, but I'd not be surprised that some
information has not made the transition.

Parts of the old server are still active, however:
http://www.hp.com/go/openvms/doc still goes to the h71000.www7.hp.com
server.

Unfortunately, at least some of the cached, direct requests into the
h71000.www7.hp.com web server are also being intercepted with the HP
"Oops. We can't find that page for you." errors, based on the results
of some recent web searches.   Some of (many of?  all of?) the link
references from the existing and reachable parts of the
h71000.www7.hp.com web server are also broken.

This is all sorts of a mess right now — page links broken all over the place.