[Info-vax] Remap keys on LK4xx

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Mon May 4 14:04:47 EDT 2015

> In article <mi82jf$6hv$1 at news.kjsl.com>,
> helbig at asclothestro.multivax.de (Phillip Helbig (undress to reply))
> writes:
>>> In article <833e91a3-4c65-49e8-b26c-4e49a30be32b at googlegroups.com>,
>> Andy Kosela <andy.kosela at gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> I would like to remap right "Alt Function" key present on LKxx keyboards to
>>> Ctrl key. Is there some quick way to do this? This is under VT320.
>>
>> Why?  They already have a control key.

Why?   Because it's easier and quicker (for at least some folks) to
type some of the necessary chords when there's a right control key.

With OS X, more than a few folks swap the left control and caps lock,
just to place control in a position that's easier to reach.  The right
control key is a pretty long reach, too.  This placement and this
remapping makes it easier when you ssh into OpenVMS from an OS X
system.  Or into any other system that uses control frequently, for
that matter.

Touch typists tend to notice these placement issues.   Not that the
often rather muddy LK keyboard is exactly friendly to touch typists.
The standard (left, only) control key position on an LK isn't in a
great position, either.   But then I use the control key a whole lot
more than the caps lock key, based on the wear patterns on the LK I've
been using.

>> And what do you want to do with the ALT key?  Map it to CONTROL?

That would be the purpose of mapping the Alt key to the Control key, yes.

Unfortunately for the OP, dumb terminals are aptly named, and predate
many of these key-placement niceties.