[Info-vax] Removing the leading $ from commands in a new DCL language

glen herrmannsfeldt gah at ugcs.caltech.edu
Mon May 4 16:52:39 EDT 2015

Bob Koehler <koehler at eisner.nospam.decuserve.org> wrote:
> In article <mi3rvr$pqq$1 at speranza.aioe.org>, glen herrmannsfeldt <gah at ugcs.caltech.edu> writes:

>> The IBM 704, where Fortran originated, read a card row into two 36
>> bit words. Columns 73-80 were ignored.  That led to Fortran
>> ignoring 73-80, and it propagated from there.

>   You cannot store 72 characters in 2 36 bit words.

I guess I didn't say it right. Each row, of the 12 rows, on the card
is stored in two 36 bit words. The are read vertically, instead
of horizontally. (I believe that IBM calls the latter serial, I am
not sure about the former.)  The result is 24 36 bit words, but not
arranged the way characters are stored. I presume that there is
a software routine to convert that to 72 characters in 12 words.

-- glen