[Info-vax] Carly's back!

johnwallace4 at yahoo.co.uk johnwallace4 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue May 5 13:50:17 EDT 2015

On Tuesday, 5 May 2015 18:14:45 UTC+1, JF Mezei  wrote:
> BTW:
>
> http://www.carlyfiorina.org
>
> Carly Fiorina failed to register this domain. So someone else did and
> has that on it:
>
> ##
> Carly Fiorina failed to register this domain.
>
> So I'm using it to tell you how many people she laid off at Hewlett-Packard.
> ##
> (followed by a bunch of  :-( and biting text at bottom.
>
> Looks to me like HP may be dragged into this.

I have *absolutely* no wish to defend Fiorina. And I have every sympathy
with the thirty thousand who lost their jobs under Fiorina

But I do quite like facts, and where appropriate, context.

As far as I can see, the context of the quote is a 2005 interview in Fortune:
http://archive.fortune.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2005/02/07/8250437/index.htm

And the relevant couple of paragraphs read:
"[...] three more executives left HP, which under Fiorina has lost
--via firings, resignations, and retirements--a noticeable number
of its top people. Here's one indicator of what some people call
the "brain drain": Of the 11 "direct reports" that Fiorina had in
October 2003, one died and five others are gone. Michael Capellas,
CEO of Compaq when the merger was done, left early. Former HP
employees can also, without much effort, list another 20
well-placed executives who have departed, a few of them going to
competitors Dell and storage company EMC.

Fiorina does not agree, naturally, that there's been a brain drain.
In fact, she believes that one lesson she's learned while running
HP is that she should have moved more quickly in ejecting certain
people. Smartened up now, she says, "I would have done them all
faster. Every person that I've asked to leave, whether it's been
clear publicly or not, I would have done faster."
[continues]"

If the context in the Fortune quote is correct, the quote relates
to getting rid of her direct reports and senior people. In which
case the context on the .org website isn't entirely fair (to put
it politely).

I'm sure there's plenty other dirt to choose from. Better luck next
time.