[Info-vax] OpenVMS in the future, Open sourced or Closed? Intent is to keep it...

Bill Gunshannon bill at server3.cs.scranton.edu
Wed May 6 08:27:18 EDT 2015

In article <3176a8dd-73a5-4ecd-aac4-b0edbeef01b4 at googlegroups.com>,
	seasoned_geek <roland at logikalsolutions.com> writes:
> On Tuesday, May 5, 2015 at 12:20:45 PM UTC-5, Bob Koehler wrote:
>> In article <1d5da2d1-2336-456b-8111-02d598b29acb at googlegroups.com>, seasoned_geek writes:
>> >
>> > Why will VMS have a life span of 15 minutes once ported to the x86? Because=
>> >  absolutely NOTHING is respected on the x86. Period.
>>
>>    Not one of your arguments has anything to do with the platform, they
>>    all have to do with the software.
>
> The have to do with the platform. Do a Web search for how many blades Amazon, Google, and the other major server farms fry in a day.

I have server class rackmount 1U x86-64 boxes here that have been running
24/7/365 for years.  Some for as much as a decade.

>>    We've run some less popular OS on x86 and found some of them are
>>    respectable.  You haven't heard about it, of course.
>
> If those OS's actually had respect, I would have heard about them.

Lucily for the IT world you are in the minority.  Unix was around before
VMS and it will be around long after VMS is gone.

bill

billg999 at cs.scranton.edu |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton   |