[Info-vax] OpenVMS in the future, Open sourced or Closed? Intent is to keep it...

Simon Clubley clubley at remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP
Wed May 6 13:27:17 EDT 2015

On 2015-05-06, Robert A. Brooks <FIRST.LAST at vmssoftware.com> wrote:
> On 5/6/2015 12:02 AM, David Froble wrote:
>
>> But once all the requirements are set up and available, many would be capable of
>> doing the build.  Not that I'm advocating such.  As I've written more than once,
>> the reason I wanted to see VMS open sourced was to insure someone at HP could
>> not decide to just delete everything.
>>
>> Don't kid yourself, that was a very real possibility.
>
> And with what knowledge and/or authority do you make that assertion?

I'm not speaking for David here, but the obvious example which comes
to mind are the PDP-11 operating systems and their current status.

While they were most certainly not "deleted" the end result, as it
exists today, is effectively the same thing.

However, I strongly suspect it would be a major exercise to open source
VMS because IIRC aren't there parts within the VMS codebase which are
licenced from third parties ?

Simon.

--
Simon Clubley, clubley at remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP