[Info-vax] VMS v8.4 Documentation CDROM bugs

Simon Clubley clubley at remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP
Thu May 7 05:55:33 EDT 2015

On 2015-05-07, Jan-Erik Soderholm <jan-erik.soderholm at telia.com> wrote:
> Alan Frisbie skrev den 2015-05-07 02:28:
>>
>> There are plenty of work-arounds, as several people suggested, and I
>> certainly don't expect the v8.4 CD to be re-issued.   I just want to
>> help make it -- wait for it... -- "Fixed In Next Release."   :-)
>> (I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself.)
>>

> Now, in todays web centric world, who would need a documentation *CD*?
> What is there on that CD that is not available on-line?

You are assuming that whatever your current location is, there is good
speed internet connectivity available. This is not always the case.

Granted, given the current VMS hardware, you are unlikely to be working
on VMS systems on the train, but that will hopefully change with x86-64.

Besides, what about when you need to work on VMS systems while your
internet connection is down ?

> (Yes, I know of the temporary troubles at HP, but I expect that
> to be solved in a few days...)

And what if you need to solve a problem _today_ ? If you relied on
the online VMS documentation in a production environment, you would
currently be in major trouble.

Simon.

--
Simon Clubley, clubley at remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP