[Info-vax] VMS v8.4 Documentation CDROM bugs

Bill Gunshannon bill at server3.cs.scranton.edu
Thu May 7 09:07:22 EDT 2015

In article <mif0dt$or8$1 at news.albasani.net>,
	Jan-Erik Soderholm <jan-erik.soderholm at telia.com> writes:
> Alan Frisbie skrev den 2015-05-07 02:28:
>> On 05/06/2015 03:35 PM, JF Mezei wrote:
>>
>>> Suggest you write a script to either fix the URLs in the .HTML to match
>>> the case of the filenames, or rename the filenames to match the case of
>>> the URLs.
>>>
>>> On VAX, Once converted some Motif HTML manuals and had to script edit
>>> all the URLs to remove spaces etc which VAX didn't support.
>>>

>>> Notifying VSI may result in VMS 9.0 having matched case sensitive URLs
>>> and filenames, but I wouldn't expect them to change 8.4 docset.
>>>
>>> The other option would be to go through a WEB server which *should* be
>>> case insensituve (or be set to be).
>>
>> There are plenty of work-arounds, as several people suggested, and I
>> certainly don't expect the v8.4 CD to be re-issued.   I just want to
>> help make it -- wait for it... -- "Fixed In Next Release."   :-)
>> (I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself.)
>>
>> Alan
>
> Now, in todays web centric world, who would need a documentation *CD*?
> What is there on that CD that is not available on-line?

Some of us actually spend a lot of our time (and it will be most of
the time I have to work on VMS projects) without being "online".
You must have missed that whole thread.  :-)

> (Yes, I know of the temporary troubles at HP, but I expect that
> to be solved in a few days...)
>
> Haven't used or seen a doc-CD in decades.

I expect i still have a handful of them floating around somewhere.

bill

billg999 at cs.scranton.edu |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton   |