[Info-vax] OpenVMS in the future, Open sourced or Closed? Intent is to keep it...

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Thu May 7 09:40:12 EDT 2015

On 2015-05-06 16:53:19 +0000, Paul Sture said:

> If the build process is as well documented as the rest of the VMS then
> I would expect that someone competent with similar toolchains (and
> obviously VMS itself) would be able to get there, though obviously not
> as quickly as someone with direct experience of the build process.

If the owners wanted to update and to document and to generally
"productize" the build for end-user developer use, that's entirely
feasible.   It's also no small project.

But then folks are unlikely to gain access to parts of the OpenVMS
source code prior to 2020 or 2025 or whenever HP ramps down their
OpenVMS efforts, if even then, if at all.

VSI has much more important things to deal with right now, too.