[Info-vax] OpenVMS in the future, Open sourced or Closed? Intent is to keep it...

JF Mezei jfmezei.spamnot at vaxination.ca
Thu May 7 14:06:44 EDT 2015

On 15-05-07 13:43, Jan-Erik Soderholm wrote:

> I don't get it. What does borders/countries has to do with this?
> Isn't it the quality of work that matters? I could not care
> less *where* VMS is developed...

There was very little cross training done when jobs were transfered to
the new location.  While there were a few experienced ones at that
location, there were many newbies. And lack of training is what resulted
in mistakes such as the directory command assuming .DIR was a directory
instead of checking for the directory bit.

Another problem at that country is high turnover. Not sure what the VMS
team experienced there but a high turnover would require the few
experienced one spend a large portion of their time training newbies
instead of doing work.