[Info-vax] Beyond Open Source

IanD iloveopenvms at gmail.com
Fri May 8 01:38:37 EDT 2015

On Thursday, May 7, 2015 at 4:53:39 AM UTC+10, Stephen Hoffman wrote:
> Since the topic of open source seems popular around here recently...
>
> Drew Crawford's <http://sealedabstract.com/rants/beyond-open-source/>
> should give everybody something to think about.
>
> Via <http://mjtsai.com/blog/2015/05/06/beyond-open-source/>, which is
> also worth a read.
>
> --
> Pure Personal Opinion | HoffmanLabs LLC

I skimmed the first linked article, very interesting indeed and it appears to be quite well researched rather than just a blogg of opinions

I'll got through it in depth when I get more time

Opensource gains favour when one rapid development of a new idea but as the article alludes to, becomes more and more difficult as a project grows and code contributions come in from an increasing number of sources

I mentioned open source for VMS especially if a new stack was going to be developed but the jury is out on that one

Lots of examples of open source being used to fork projects when people see a different end need for the software in question - I don't think VMS has that luxury at this stage, the base is too small at this stage

As long as there are enough core developers to keep enhancements and bug fixes coming in a reasonable time frame

I'll digest the article later when I have more time - thanks for the post though, it's quite refreshing to read something that isn't trying to push exclusively a single barrow