[Info-vax] OpenVMS in the future, Open sourced or Closed? Intent is to keep it...

clairgrant71 at gmail.com clairgrant71 at gmail.com
Fri May 8 07:37:09 EDT 2015

On Friday, May 8, 2015 at 12:37:20 AM UTC-4, David Froble wrote:
> Jan-Erik Soderholm wrote:
> > Paul Sture skrev den 2015-05-07 17:06:

> >> No you didn't dream it, David.

> >> Ayup, and to get there it must have left the US in the first place ;-)
> >>

> > I don't get it. What does borders/countries has to do with this?
> > Isn't it the quality of work that matters? I could not care
> > less *where* VMS is developed...
> >

> Read up thread.  That wasn't the issue.  A poster suggested that the
> build procedures never left the USA.  I was just pointing out that the
> procedures were indeed in India, according to the VSI post.

The HP VMS Team in India was given a near-impossible assignment. We sent them our entire lab - systems, disks, complete clusters, etc. and spent 2-3 years training them and many of them were/are excellent engineers. But, I agree, personnel turnover really hurt their efforts. I've always had great sympathy as well as respect for what they have done. It was hard enough being on the sending side of that transfer 6 years ago but I can only imagine what it was like to be on the receiving side.