[Info-vax] VMS v8.4 Documentation CDROM bugs

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Fri May 8 07:45:25 EDT 2015

On 2015-05-08 08:02:11 +0000, Jan-Erik Soderholm said:

> David Froble skrev den 2015-05-08 06:42:
>>
>> Ok, I see, you were mainly discussing the type of media, CD, more than
>> saying the online stuff was adequate.
>
> I'm saying that the distribution type "web" is enough today.
> Then you can select to store it on any media you like for
> off-line use. Most probably store it on their laptop.
>
> There is no reason to get or buy a hardware (CD, USB, tape...) media
> from anyone today.

Digital downloads are better than physical media for many folks, yes.
FTP or browser save-as downloads are still completely primitive and
entirely too manual for other folks.  It's also completely unpalatable
to some sites.   You (Jan-Erik) have progressed past physical
distributions.  Other folks have not, and for various reasons.  Some
folks have progressed past manually-managed downloads, and are
accustomed to tools that manage and maintain the documentation, or that
automatically cache and serve the downloads on the target networks.
Some other folks require better security and authentication, and
potentially beyond the signed layered product distributions and the
unsigned documentation.  Some folks that want or need documentation
access are simply not permitted internet links and downloads — yes,
those folks might be "silly" or "paranoid", or they might well be
legitimate targets for attacks.

The OpenVMS customer base is.. varied.