[Info-vax] HP / VSI OpenVMS breakfast event - held on 5 May 2015 - loose recap

VAXman- at SendSpamHere.ORG VAXman- at SendSpamHere.ORG
Fri May 8 08:45:42 EDT 2015

In article <fd5b9108-bc33-4912-b891-fa47fedf4bdb at googlegroups.com>, IanD <iloveopenvms at gmail.com> writes:
>My loose remembering's of the HP / VSI OpenVMS breakfast event on the 5 May=
> 2015
>
>For those looking for extra information about what is coming or any special=
> privileged information, click on your browser back button now, the breakfa=
>st didn't disclose anything of that nature, in fact, 99% of what has been c=
>oming out via the VSI website and/or Facebook pretty well sums it up anyhow
>
>The breakfast outline was published as:
>
>Agenda:
>7.30am - Arrive & Registration
>8:00am - Plate Breakfast Served
>8.30am - The Future of OpenVMS
>10.30am - Concludes
>
>Presenting were John Egolf, OpenVMS Integrity Migration Manager, HP OpenVMS=
> organisation and Duane Harris, CEO of VMS Software (there were others, one=
> from New Zealand whose name escapes me (sorry!!!) and Jeremy Begg of vsm s=
>oftware services acting as the representative of the OpenVMS community (sor=
>ry Jeremy I cannot remember your title)
>
>I'll try and list the things I can remember that were different from the an=
>nouncements we already know (and I guess if you've heard all this before th=
>en it's the stuff that I didn't know)
>
>Delaware are the backers (one of the backers?) of VSI (I know, this is on t=
>heir website)
>
>In the future, there 'may be' (read may be!) the possibility of a subscript=
>ion style of licencing. Many ideas are being considered, NONE beyond what h=
>as already been officially announced are available. The takeaway here is th=
>at VSI will be as flexible as they can be, where they can be
>
>The company expects to be cash positive by 2016. I don't know if this means=
> before 2016 or if it's the 2016 financial year, I just jotted down cash po=
>sitive by 2016
>
>When due diligence showed that the top 10 companies running OpenVMS in the =
>world were still wanting to stay with OpenVMS. A figure of 218 million was =
>I believe shown. I do not know if this was the OpenVMS spend by these compa=
>nies combined or if it was the IT spend of these companies combined or even=
> if it was the listed profit of these companies combined so take this infor=
>mation as you wish, I wish I could remember more but companies names were s=
>tripped from the presentation and the listing was by industry sector. Sorry=
>, this information in itself doesn't really represent much and therefore PL=
>EASE do not let it be the source of grandiose rumours and speculation!
>The take-away I believe was meant to show that VSI believe there is still g=
>ood money to be made from OpenVMS and a customer base out there that wants =
>to stay on OpenVMS
>
>A new file system is being looked at. Works started on something in 2009. T=
>hose works will be revisited. The file system was not based on anything els=
>e out there
>
>VSI are looking intently at opening up a development program

> [...]

Was this an invite only event?  I didn't see any mention of a VSI Breakfast
Event mentioned anywhere.

--
VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker    VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG