[Info-vax] OpenVMS in the future, Open sourced or Closed? Intent is to keep it...

Neil Rieck n.rieck at sympatico.ca
Sat May 9 09:50:15 EDT 2015

On Tuesday, May 5, 2015 at 9:35:03 AM UTC-4, Stephen Hoffman wrote:
> On 2015-05-05 12:04:40 +0000, Neil Rieck said:
>
> > Let's put our cards on the table. The number one reason why people want
> > Open-Source software is because its free. But is it really free?
> > Companies like RedHat start with Open-Source software then curate it
> > into something supportable. When any person or company wants to use
> > supported software from RedHat, they buy a support license for RHEL.
> > When those same people want to use unsupported software they might
> > "take their chances with CentOS"
>
> There are various reasons why folks want open source.  Yes, many will
> want it because it is cheaper to acquire.  Whether it is cheaper to run
> can vary.   For other folks, it's a way that can avoid a dependency on
> an outside provider that might disappear, or a way to allow the
> end-user to modify the source code themselves.  In some cases, it's
> because that's what the end-user's tools and packages are based on --
> I'm encountering ever-longer chains of dependencies when porting code
> over to OpenVMS, for instance.  Open source packages that are already
> integrated into other distributions.  Then there's that some of the
> open source code is better and more flexible than much of the closed
> source code -- llvm is an example of this.  Very few folks have the
> budget and the time and the staff necessary to create and debug a
> ground-zero modular compiler, after all -- this makes migrating
> beneficial.   But yes, many folks like free.  In the case of open
> source, free can sometimes be a competitive weapon, or a palliative for
> end-user concerns over business viability, too.
>
> Technically, OpenVMS is already sort-of kind-of open source -- again,
> "open source" is an exceedingly ambiguous statement -- as you can
> purchase a copy of the source listings.  Years ago, you could buy a
> copy of the sources, too -- that was expensive.    Key features such as
> the security implementation and the kernel are included in the source
> listings, as well as in the source kit.   Hopefully VSI continues with
> the source listing offering, and it'd certainly be appreciated if VSI
> lowered the price of their version of the source listings distribution,
> too.  But I digress.
>
> > p.s. Android is a curated version of LinuxWe all have memories of VMS
> > software being very expensive (some say that this is the reason why "$"
> > is the default prompt for DCL). Software prices dropped when
> > VMS/OpenVMS came under control of Compaq. Prices dropped even lower
> > when everything moved to HP. During the last 40 years, "the business
> > model" moved from "very expensive with free updates for life" to "less
> > expensive to buy" and "additional support (including patches)
> > optionally available to those requiring it".
>
> That's been the whole software market, and a good chunk of the hardware
> market, too.   One copy of software is expensive.  After that, the
> copies are not so expensive.    Fully amortized, custom servers and
> [...]

Lots of stuff to respond to but I think you misread one of my statements. HP did outsource "OpenVMS support" to India.

Before that time, it appeared as if all the work was being done in North America as were all the webinars. After that event, L1 support still appeared to be done from an organization/server in Colorado while L3 work was split between North America and India (I think it depended upon the product). 95% of the webinars were hosted from India with one being hosted from New Zealand.

Neil Rieck
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.