[Info-vax] Beyond Open Source

David Froble davef at tsoft-inc.com
Sun May 10 20:05:11 EDT 2015

johnwallace4 at yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> On Sunday, 10 May 2015 17:34:04 UTC+1, David Froble  wrote:
>> Stephen Hoffman wrote:
>> Well, I personally find it severely lacking in necessary details.
>>
>>> Microsoft very much understands the enterprise.
>> Yeah, they understand where the big bucks can be had, and they've
>> brainwashed enough people to make it easy to harvest those bucks ..
>>

>> What I don't understand is this aversion to independently implemented
>> procedures and such.  One size doesn't fit all.  If someone designs and
>> developes something that precisely fits their needs, why is this so much
>> worse than generic stuff?
>
> Windows Event Logger lacking in details? [1]
>
> Look, it's pointy clicky shiny, what more could you want, other than
> graphs?
>
> Get yourself some mentoring from a proper presentation layer person,
> then come back. Heathen.

:-)

Actually, I have seen some event log entries that worth worth reading.
However, I have to admit, the software we were using had routines to
write to the event logs, and when we did so, the messages were a bit
more meaningful.  Actually, a LOT more meaningful.

Even so, I preferred logging that was part of the application.  You got
to set things up in a manner that you liked, not some Microsoft
framework.  I ended up not using the event log.