[Info-vax] Beyond Open Source

John Reagan xyzzy1959 at gmail.com
Mon May 11 08:09:03 EDT 2015

On Monday, May 11, 2015 at 7:51:26 AM UTC-4, Neil Rieck wrote:

> I heard (third hand) about problems using Linux on multi-CPU x86-64 where one cpu will occasionally "get locked into a tight loop" and no one knows how to fix it. The customer who continually experiences the problem contacted "the curator" only to be told that the problem might have something to do with the quality of the code generated by the gcc compiler. Huh?

That feels more like a system spinlock problem or somebody decided to "write their own".  gcc doesn't know from spinlocks.  There are system calls to manage them.  Such bugs are hard to track down on any platform.  We've had them on OpenVMS in the past.  It doesn't appear to be wide-spread since a Google search on several terms didn't find anything.