[Info-vax] VMS Developer Job

Bill Gunshannon bill at server3.cs.scranton.edu
Mon May 11 08:32:21 EDT 2015

In article <min73h$5mm$1 at dont-email.me>,
	Simon Clubley <clubley at remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP> writes:
> On 2015-05-10, IanD <iloveopenvms at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Here's another few (4 apparently) (In Australia)
>>
>> http://www.seek.com.au/job/28613744?pos=1&type=standard
>> http://www.seek.com.au/job/28612535?pos=2&type=standard
>
> Around here it seems to be all media/web design type companies who
> have open IT positions. :-(

I don't know how it works in OZ but over here all those "job" sites
really do is scrape the web looking for jobs posted in other places
that they can claim are there's.  (I know some primaries who flat
out state on their HR pages that application that come thru third
parties will not be considered.  Only applications to their HR.)

> I don't know what it's like in other countries, but it's also interesting
> the job adverts are (mostly) all about {x} years in a list of frameworks
> of the year with little emphasis apparently placed on knowing the core
> computer science fundamentals instead (and the transferable and universal
> skills which come with that core knowledge).

That's because academia decided somewhere along the road that they
didn't want to get students the skills needed by the IT industry but
were more interested in steering the bus to where they thought the
IT industry should be.  This left the industry without a usable supply
of potential employees and the industry responded accordingly by down-
playing the value of degree over experience.  Nothing new, really.  It
has always been a pendulum swinging back and forth between education
and experience.  I have worked in the industry thru at least two full
swings.  I got both my first big job (Senior Computer System Designer)
based on experience and I also got this current job at a University
without having a degree based entirely on my experience in industry.
When I leave in a month if they get to hire a replacement they will
have to have a degree for a job I did for 25 years without one. (Yes,
I have my degree but it was just like other documentation.  Done late
and mostly as an afterthought.  :-)

The pendulum has not reached appogee yet so the value of a college
education in the IT world will continue to drop for some time with
preference being given to those with experience and tech school
(read certifications rather than degrees) training.  Does not bode
well for those who choose to go 6 figures into debt to get that
sheepskin.

bill

billg999 at cs.scranton.edu |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton   |