[Info-vax] Beyond Open Source

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Mon May 11 12:29:00 EDT 2015

On 2015-05-11 15:59:45 +0000, David Froble said:

> John Reagan wrote:
>> On Monday, May 11, 2015 at 7:51:26 AM UTC-4, Neil Rieck wrote:
>>
>>> I heard (third hand) about problems using Linux on multi-CPU x86-64
>>> where one cpu will occasionally "get locked into a tight loop" and no
>>> one knows how to fix it. The customer who continually experiences the
>>> problem contacted "the curator" only to be told that the problem might
>>> have something to do with the quality of the code generated by the gcc
>>> compiler. Huh?
>>
>> That feels more like a system spinlock problem or somebody decided to
>> "write their own".  gcc doesn't know from spinlocks.  ...
>
> It doesn't really matter how wide-spread a problem is, if it is YOUR problem.

So far, we have an unsubstantiated third-hand report of an unspecified
looping issue, involving unspecified x86-64 hardware, with no
attribution, no bug number, and potentially questionable allegations of
gcc code-generation involvement?

If nothing else, this does make a decent case for improved error
reporting and better diagnostics, irrespective of the identity of "the
curator" or of the particular application or system platform.    Also
that outsourcing the risk and the blame can sometimes still blow up on
you.

ps: if you think OpenVMS hasn't had a few of these weird
instruction-level locking bugs, you've probably not recently
contemplated on the origin of the the SRM_CHECK tool.   Yes, that did
get fixed.   As for the above report, I'm *certain* we'll learn what
happened with the unattributed bug in the unspecified application with
the unknown issue and the unidentified customer and the mystery support
and reputedly with the involvement of the gcc compiler, of course.