[Info-vax] Alpha Ready System Upgrade

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Wed May 13 09:35:08 EDT 2015

On 2015-05-12 19:39:49 +0000, johnwallace4 at yahoo.co.uk said:

> Not sure whether the 7000/10000 upgrades involved a total box swap - in
> principle they wouldn't need to, would they, but sometimes it was useful
> to arrange for things like parallel running and you just end up
> shipping in a new system and in due course returning the old one.

ps: The VAX 7000 Laser and VAX 10000 Blazer server upgrades were a
processor board swap, though some customers might opt to swap the whole
server due to downtime or parallel use or whatever.  Most of the guts
of the Laser and Blazer were compatible across VAX and Alpha, though
some of the I/O widgets did require a field reload of different
firmware as part of the upgrade.

The Systems and Options Catalog (SoC) "upgrades" section had details on
the various offers and options.

Again, AFAIK, the Alpha upgrades of all of the VAX 4000, VAX 6000, and
all earlier VAX systems were all box swaps.  "Alpha Ready" or some such
wording was used in the marketing.