[Info-vax] Do you (or someone you work with) sysman on Windows?

Richard Maher maher_rjSPAMLESS at hotmail.com
Fri May 15 08:37:38 EDT 2015

On 5/13/2015 1:46 AM, Steven Schweda wrote:
>> [...] Why do they always rebuild the system disk from
>> scratch???
>
>     I know nothing, but I have a dim memory of trying to
> transplant a Windows XP disk from one system to a different
> system -- that is, same OS, different hardware.  The disk
> initially appeared bootable in the new system, but Windows
> seemed to have the old hardware path to the disk burned into
> its brain (somewhere in the Registry? -- I don't know), so it
> never got beyond the initial step or two, failing with some
> uninformative error message.

I'm guessing that the complexity of the issues reduces with VMs as
opposed to boxes.

I did mention to our server people that SYSPREP might be the Mut's nuts
when adding a node in the Web Farm or cloning the Web Farm from VPN to
DMZ but we're still arguing.

I miss VMS!

Here's something that doesn't change though :-(
Go cap in hand to SYS Admin/DBA
Oh enlightened ones, please look down on us mere mortals and permit us
to massage your egos
I fully understand that you can't let us deal directly with VSI/HP/DEC
support (Oh and especially Oracle support) as then we'd all see the
Emperor has no clothes