[Info-vax] Alpha Ready System Upgrade

William Pechter pechter at S20.pechter.dyndns.org
Fri May 15 23:48:48 EDT 2015

In article <crh03lFbovuU4 at mid.individual.net>,
Bill Gunshannon <billg999 at cs.uofs.edu> wrote:
>In article <38f67133-de7c-4296-9a64-ac1cfa034dee at googlegroups.com>,
>	johnwallace4 at yahoo.co.uk writes:

>>> Interesting.   I don't recall that case; a VAX 4000 Q-bus that was sold
>>> as being upgradable to Alpha short of a box-swap.  There was the
>>> rarely-seen but still available VAX 4000 model 50 upgrade for some
>>> Q-bus boxes, and there were Q-bus expansions for various VAX 4000 model
>>> 1xx seres boxes, but AFAIK all of the non-box-swap upgradable VAX
>>> systems were among the VAX 7000 and VAX 10000 series.   Not the VAX
>>> 4000 series.  Have any more details on that Alpha-upgradable VAX 4000?
>>>

>>> --
>>> Pure Personal Opinion | HoffmanLabs LLC
>>
>> Some VAX 4000 models were sold with the assurance of an "upgrade to Alpha
>> in the future", see e.g.
>> http://www.compaq.com/alphaserver/vax/archive/vax4000_100.html
>>
>> In this case upgrade presumably meany get a good deal on an Alpha when
>> you trade in your VAX 4000-100, 'cos there's not much hardware they'd
>> have in common.
>>
>> Similar "Alpha Ready System Upgrade" offers were also available with
>> the 3100 Model 80/90:
>> http://www.compaq.com/cpq-alphaserver/vax/archive/mv3100_3040_8090.html
>>
>> The relevant upgrades were to desktop Alpha systems.
>>
>> There was an similar upgrade program for VAX 7000/10000 systems, which
>> offered an upgrade to a datacentre-class Alpha system:
>> http://www.compaq.com/alphaserver/vax/archive/vax7000_600.html
>>
>> This is the kind of upgrade that would frequently be called a "fork lift"
>> upgrade but that terminology doesn't really seem right for a 3100 or a
>> 4000-100.
>>
>> Not sure whether the 7000/10000 upgrades involved a total box swap -
>in principle they wouldn't need to, would they, but sometimes it was
>useful
>> to arrange for things like parallel running and you just end up shipping
>> in a new system and in due course returning the old one.
>>
>> I'm going from what I remember of Customer Update articles and such. The
>> relevant ones don't seem to be easily findable online. Corections welcome.
>
>I remember my AT&T days.  AT&T sold off the 3B line (minus the 3B1 which
>was a convergent and not an AT&T at all) to NCR.  There were "upgrades"
>offered for the whole 3B2 line.  Open box, dump out everything but the
>power supply, install NCR M68K system in box.  Voila, upgraded 3B2.  :-)
>
>bill
>
>--
>Bill Gunshannon          |  de-moc-ra-cy (di mok' ra see) n.  Three wolves
>billg999 at cs.scranton.edu |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
>University of Scranton   |
>Scranton, Pennsylvania   |         #include <std.disclaimer.h>

Not to mention of the 3B-MIPS stuff they had internally  and the AT&T
7000 series (Rebadged Pyramid MIS-Server S Systems).

Did they really "Sell it off" or just drop it nearly immediately in favor
of the x86 based star server line.

There went my job... since 50% Pyramid systems were sold via AT&T and Siemens
under their own branding.  There was an immediate loss of what I guessed
was about 25% or more of Pyramid's sales since AT&T and Siemens pretty much
split their OEM business which was supposedly 50% of Pyramid's sales.
I was in Training and was already doing training for AT&T folks in Georgia
as well as NJ.

A lot of the high end SMP AT&T systems were rebadged Pyramids (both
Pyramid Risc and Pyramids using Mips R3000 chips) and the upgrades and
training I was involved with stopped as all new purchases  were all forced to
be NCR boxes.

There was also a contract to replace the older IRS boxes which included
SystemIII Z8000 based Zilog/Exxon Office Systems stuff with newer hardware
which disappeared I think at the same time.  I went back to Concurrent
Computers and later Fort Monmouth afted that.

AT&T really always wanted to buy DEC... but something happened around
'84 that blew that up.  DEC was to get the outsource deal to do all
the Bell Labs sysadmin and operations and my wife heard it on the
AT&T side in Bell Labs.  I was to move from Field Service to Unix
Sysadmin and was told I'd be trained shortly.

Somehow something hit the fan and the deal unraveled quickly.

Ended up going to Concurrent Computer's training in 87 or so
and to Unix admin there shortly after in the fall.

Bill
Digital had it then.  Don't you wish you could buy it now!
pechter-at-gmail.com  http://xkcd.com/705/