[Info-vax] problem with LSE installation

Phillip Helbig undress to reply helbig at asclothestro.multivax.de
Sun May 17 06:16:39 EDT 2015

In article <mj8elh$4c4$1 at dont-email.me>, David Froble
<davef at tsoft-inc.com> writes:

> >> Could certainly be that, David.   No joke.   I've seen more than a few
> >> creative configurations.
> >
> > No, nothing creative here.
>
> Huh!
>
> Philip, how many times have you posted about putting cluster wide files
> in a custom location?

Sure, but nothing related to LSE.  Also, before the upgrade to 8.4, I
"moved" them all back to their default locations.  The upgrade itself
went fine.  Before cloning the upgraded system disk for other nodes, I
want to install some additional stuff on it---just the stuff in the
hobbyist distribution.  This is where I hit the problem.

I've never used LSE, but with a relatively new DECset I figured it might
be worth learning.

I did install DECset a long time ago and didn't have this problem.

> Now, maybe the installation worked for whoever set it up, and perhaps
> they were on a system with things in the "original" location.  Perhaps
> moving some files caused the installation to not work.
>
> Consider, are the people doing such developers?  If so, then, I'd expect
> to see developers working on stand alone systems, not a cluster.  Or
> would you expect developers who might have exceptions in kernel code to
> be working on some cluster?  Not something I'd expect ....

No-one here but me!