[Info-vax] problem with LSE installation

Phillip Helbig undress to reply helbig at asclothestro.multivax.de
Sun May 17 14:38:16 EDT 2015

In article <mjafok$1s1$1 at dont-email.me>, "Robert A. Brooks"
<FIRST.LAST at vmssoftware.com> writes:

> Paul and I did the rebranding of DECset for V8.4-1H1, and he specifically
> worked on LSE and SCA.  He noted some "oddities" with respect to the
> installation of LSE, although we used the latest version of DECset
> (V12.8 ECO3)
> for our work,

I have DECSETECO1128 which is presumably a full kit (but ECO1, I guess,
rather than ECO3).

> and the oddities were related to the fact that LSE tries to use
> itself during the installation (probably to build TPU environment files),

That could explain some stuff.

> and a non-standard installation could cause anomolous behaviour.

Since I have never used LSE on this cluster, I don't know what could be
non-standard.

> For those of you that use DECset, and will be upgrading to V8.4-1H1, you will
> be pleased to know that the DECwindows interfaces to all the DECset components
> now work.  It appears as though they were broken for the V12.8 ECO2 release,
> but are now all fixed for DECset V12.9 (the VSI released version).

I'm REALLY anxious to get my hands on an x86 running VMS.  Not because
of VMS, but because presumably most or all of future VMS development and
bug fixes will be on x86 rather than some other architecture.

I hope the promise is kept to have at least the first version of VMS on
x86 cluster-compatible with 8.4 on ALPHA.