[Info-vax] OpenVMS printing to PDF

Jan-Erik Soderholm jan-erik.soderholm at telia.com
Mon May 18 09:21:47 EDT 2015

hancockrl59 at gmail.com skrev den 2015-05-18 14:48:
> We are trying to eliminate printing/scanning in several areas of our company.
> Does anyone know if there is a way to print directly to pdf via an OpenVMS print queue?
>
> Thanks
> Randy
> MNP Corp.

You need something at the "other end" of the queue that writes PDF.
There are special print processors that, instead of actualy printing,
run some COM file or similar where you can do whatever processing
you like. I do not remember the name, but it was on the OpenVMS
freeware distributions.

I have used a Python script and the builtin "ReportLab" PDF writer.
This was submitted from Rdb using a table trigger whenever a specific
table was updated. The PDF directly is then served by WASD web server,
but the PDF could equaly well be mailed if you prefer.

http://www.reportlab.com/

So in my case there was never any *print* queue involved.

Jan-Erik.