[Info-vax] OpenVMS printing to PDF

David Froble davef at tsoft-inc.com
Mon May 18 14:09:59 EDT 2015

Paul Anderson wrote:
> On 2015-05-18 12:48:49 +0000, hancockrl59 at gmail.com said:
>
>> Does anyone know if there is a way to print directly to pdf via an
>> OpenVMS print queue?
>
> This has been on our wishlist for a while.
>
> Some printers can accept PDF files directly.  HP has some models that do
> this.  I don't know about other printer vendors.
>
> Other than that, since your printer probably understands PostScript
> files, you could use the Ghostscript pdf2ps capability.  Sending a PDF
> file through that would be a process outside of the PRINT command or an
> OpenVMS print queue.
>
> I would love for DCPS to handle PDF files, but such an effort is not yet
> on the drawing board.
>
> Paul
>
> Paul Anderson
> VMS Software, Inc.

The way I read the request, he doesn't want to print to paper, he wants
to use the queue to produce the PDF file.

I seem to recall some products that will produce PdF files on VMS, not
really sure.  Seems to me that if there are, he should forget the print
symboints and just change his procedures to use the products directly.