[Info-vax] grey screen of death

Phillip Helbig undress to reply helbig at asclothestro.multivax.de
Mon May 18 16:36:21 EDT 2015

In article <1cc3accc-ad28-4689-885a-c24766ebb3f2 at googlegroups.com>,
fhsjvl at gmail.com writes:

> > After the first proper reboot after going to 8.4, the graphics console
> > brings up the grey screen of death.  It did work immediately after the
> > reboot.  Restarting the DECwindows server appears to work but doesn't
> > help.
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> - Everything still OK in DECW$PRIVATE_SERVER_SETUP.COM?

No change there.

> - Sometimes DECwindows puts up complaints about the quota, after an upgrade.

I'll see if there is anything in the log.

> - It has been reported that sometimes DECW$STARTSERVER.COM is looping
> after an upgrade, one of the possible reasons being license problems.

You later corrected this to "quota problems".

I rebooted, just to make sure there were no errors during shutdown or
reboot.  I get somewhat different behaviour now: First the grey screen,
then a black screen with the hour glass.  Whenever the screen colour
changes, I can see and here activity on the system disk and on the user
disk (perhaps because it contains SYSUAF and other files I've moved off
the system disk).  The grey phase is less than a second, the black phase
about 8 seconds, of which the first 3 are without and the last 5 with
the hour glass.

Most definitely some sort of loop.

If it is a quota problem, then presumably in the SYSTEM account?  This
occurs before anyone is logged in.

I normally use the system account only rarely, such as during a
conversational boot or whatever.  As a result, I haven't changed much
with it; I'd prefer to leave it as alone as possible.  Obviously,
though, if some quotas are too low then I need to increase them.

OK, after a few minutes, it goes back to the grey screen of death.
(This is the background before the login box appears.  A cursor is
visible and can be moved.)