[Info-vax] Itanium question [2]

MG marcogbNO at SPAMxs4all.nl
Mon May 18 16:53:16 EDT 2015

Hans Vlems schreef op 18-mei-2015 om 14:53:
> the problem is that my old but working mainboard has a
> damaged connector for the cardcage. The new mainboard
> plays well with both cardcages but only works in EFI
> mode.

Yes, that's also how I remember.  From there I remember
I could manually boot (from the EFI command line).  Was
that also the case for you?

> I.e. it won't let me boot VMS (nor any other OS)
> irrespective of medium.

Really?  Interesting, because I could...  But maybe
there's something missing or different, maybe it was a
slightly different situation.  (Wouldn't know what,
though.)  Or do you perhaps mean that the system will
not go to the EFI 'boot selection' screen?  In which
case, that was the case for me, too.  (Only the EFI
command line/console was accessible for me.)

> You wrote "a bit of a hassle" but just that stuimped me
> and even Hoff couldn't find a workaround.

A very nasty workaround, I should have added...  Not one
I could recommend to anyone who wants to run a business
or anything, surely.  But, for me 'at home', it was
fine.  (I did it for a while, until I found a 'substitute
rx2600', back then or simply found a way to live with
some defects and reverted System Boards, I don't exactly
remember... It has been quite some time, since then.)

> If you have a way to make the ID's recognized by the
> mainboard, let me know!

Sadly, I do not.  That's one of HP's pranks, to make
sure you buy their contracts, I fear.  And back when I
ran my rx2600s, there was a large supply of second-hand/
refurbished and even NOS stock ones, for very acceptable
prices...  So it didn't even occur to me to do any sort
of 'hacking', or whatever, to possibly attempt to remedy
or otherwise overcome that.

  - MG