[Info-vax] OpenVMS printing to PDF

Dirk Munk munk at home.nl
Mon May 18 18:05:16 EDT 2015

Stephen Hoffman wrote:
> On 2015-05-18 20:51:52 +0000, Dirk Munk said:
>
>> The functionality that I mean is the ASCII > Postscript conversion,
>> that could be easily adapted for a ASCII > PDF conversion. That part
>> of DCPS shouldn't have to output to a printer, it could also produce
>> files.
>
> You are seriously are proposing running file-format conversion
> processing through a symbiont?   Not via a callable API such as CDA$ and
> not via a DCL command such as CONVERT /DOCUMENT?

Good question.

Using a symbiont would be possible. That is standard way to produce pdf
files in Windows. I have several pdf printer applications on my PC. In
any application that has a "print" command, I can choose a pdf printer,
enter a file name, and I will get a pdf file.

Convert/document would be fine too.

A real full blown application would even be better. I think I've
mentioned this before. Suppose you would create a form for a bill with a
word processor, or with a pdf editor, that form would have fields, and
you would have a utility comparable to FMS to fill those fields from an
application, that would be the kind of pdf utility I would like to see.