[Info-vax] problem with COBOL installation

mcleanjoh at gmail.com mcleanjoh at gmail.com
Mon May 18 18:16:38 EDT 2015

On Monday, May 18, 2015 at 7:36:45 PM UTC+10, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) wrote:
> In article <a5a9f1fb-d953-40b6-b9ca-93ae645e1d4c at googlegroups.com>,
> mcleanjzz#mail.com writes:
>
> > You move cluster files around?  That's not unusual if you run with separate=
> >  system disks on cluster members so that you can upgrade without cluster do=
> > wntime but at the same time you need various files and resources shared acr=
> > oss the cluster.
> >
> > You say that you moved things "back", which I take to mean back to their "s=
> > tandard" locations.  Did you reboot that machine in order to have the newly=
> >  moved files accessed from this "standard" location?  Perhaps the installat=
> > ion is using logical names to reach some directories and then relative or a=
> > bsolute paths to access others.

Phillip said:

# I'm pretty sure that moving files back and forth has nothing to do with
# this error.  My guess is that the installation assumes that LSE has
# already been installed.

My advice is don't assume.  False assumptions are often the cause of problems, misunderstandings, accidents and so on. :-)

Another approach would be to look into the installation code to see what it's trying to do.  Is this possible?  I don't know. I've done it with the old VMSINSTAL and I've created PCSI kits but not tried to reverse engineer those kits.