[Info-vax] OpenVMS printing to PDF

David Froble davef at tsoft-inc.com
Mon May 18 20:13:23 EDT 2015

Stephen Hoffman wrote:
> On 2015-05-18 20:51:52 +0000, Dirk Munk said:
>
>> The functionality that I mean is the ASCII > Postscript conversion,
>> that could be easily adapted for a ASCII > PDF conversion. That part
>> of DCPS shouldn't have to output to a printer, it could also produce
>> files.
>
> You are seriously are proposing running file-format conversion
> processing through a symbiont?   Not via a callable API such as CDA$ and
> not via a DCL command such as CONVERT /DOCUMENT?

Yeah, that sort of grabbed my attention too.

I can understand that the OP was currently printing stuff, and wanted to
instead produce PDFs.  But to then attempt to use the symboint to
perform the task?  Just because you used to use it to print?

Really, really poor design decision ....

But, I've seen people use batch jobs instead of a detached process ...