[Info-vax] OpenVMS printing to PDF

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Mon May 18 21:23:53 EDT 2015

On 2015-05-19 00:34:21 +0000, David Froble said:

> Correction, decent tools for Postscript and PDF are not distributed
> with VMS.  At least in my mind an OS should have no knowledge of such
> tools, and therefore doesn't support them as such.  Now, if "support"
> indicates that tools will run on a particular OS, well, that's another
> definition.

We differ, then.   RTF and PDF and the Microsoft Office formats are now
typical file formats that get passed around, and something that
integrated and add-on applications are expected to deal with.  That
means that there's either add-on software, or there's integrated
software.

I've done the piecemeal configuration work for far too long with
OpenVMS, and the ever-lengthening list of dependencies and the hassles
involved in integrating and testing all the different permutations
gets... hairy.   I much prefer a package that has already been tested,
and particularly when I can shut off unnecessary services, but can
easily enable and use the services that are necessary, and all without
having to do my own installation and integration work.  If some service
is later needed, it can be easily enabled and started.

Other folks are fond of a stripped-down and minimal and embedded server
environment, and a menu of pieces and parts that are added.  In older
OpenVMS terms, some of these configurations are even tailored.  In
others, they start absolutely minimally, and are then purpose-built.
But these stripped down and embedded configurations are harder to
program and administer and maintain and patch, and are harder to
distribute for particularly when you're not dealing with a dedicated
server; when you have to operate with other environments and tools.
You get to maintain all of what you've added, and watch for security
updates and bug fixes and the rest.

The OpenVMS integration of some of the more common add-on pieces and
packages can vary, too.   It's often not at all OpenVMS-like for those
that are fond of that, and end-users then have to deal with how  the
package is installed, integrated, maintained and/or patched.  For
examples of where these issues tend to appear to end-user folks,
OpenSSL, CDSA, LDAP and Kerberos and other pieces are not particularly
integrated into OpenVMS, and not how I'd prefer to see OpenVMS support
encryption and certificates and distributed security.  It'd be nice if
there was one certificate store, for instance.   All of these pieces
are necessary for security in many environments.  But they're not
particularly integrated with OpenVMS and its applications and layered
products.

Much like having embedded security features within OpenVMS (and
hopefully, embedded TLS support across the various common tools and
applications, but I digress), having embedded support for RTF and PDF
and other such formats means there are fewer things to deal with, and I
can spend more time on my applications and less time on supporting
common infrastructure.

What I'm "whining" about here are increasingly considered "table
stakes" for operating systems, too.  The stuff that new users can
expect to have available.